Checklist for travelling in France

Got any tips on touring or looking for advice for upcoming trips

You won't like it when i'm angry!

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Checklist for travelling in France

Found this on another bike site, thought it may come in handy

Checklist for travelling to France from the U.K.on British registered Bikes.

Legal Requirements (2012)

Documentation.

It is a legal requirement to carry with you at all times on the road:-

 V5(c) original in the current owners name.**
 Insurance certificate specific to the bike showing your name and registration number, and green card validity covering the duration of the trip. Cover Notes do NOT count.
 MOT test Cert (if applicable) Must be valid throughout the trip, and specific to the bike ridden.
 Driving Licence. Must be valid for the duration of the trip.
 Passport. Must be valid for the duration of the trip.
 An EHIC medical card,(per person) valid for the duration of the trip.
 An accident report form.

** Note:- There are occasions when visitors borrow or hire bikes for a particular trip. Hired vehicles will be issued with full documentation and you must carry this also, but no V5(c). Bikes borrowed from friends can be an issue. It is important that you have a letter of authorisation from the owner (preferably notated by a solicitor) alongside the original V5(c)

Not legal but recommended

 Make two copies of everything. Leave one at home with a contactable person, and hide one set on the bike (under the seat).
 If you don’t have an ICE tag, then write out any particular medical requirements ( like medication) or allergies you have, contact name(s) and phone details etc, and fold it into a small plastic wallet and put it into your jacket pocket with your licence.

On The road legal requirements (non documentation).

 A minimum dipped headlight is required at all times whilst traveling.
 You must carry a spare of essential lighting bulbs/led’s.
 Helmets must conform to EU standards and be fastened with regulation fasteners under the chin.
 4 x reflective Helmet stickers should be visible (on each face) on both rider and passenger helmets.Although these tend to get ignored by the Gendarmerie, if you are in a bit of a fix they may pick up on it and fine you on the spot.
 Ethylotest self administered alcohol tester. As it illegal not to carry at least one -which you may use- then you must carry two. Electronic testers are allowed as long as they comply to French ‘NF’ standard. Anything which has EU or EC on it (On it’s own) is no good.
 If you wear glasses or contact lenses you must carry a spare pair. (Tank Bag).
Southerner living in the land of the Northern monkeys
http://www.facebook.com/Nix68

Bastardo Engineering Ltd

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Checklist for travelling in France

Bypass France, get the ferry from Plymouth to Santander, and get to the real roads.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Well were on holiday in Southern France, so a bit pointless going to Santander, plus the ferry costs are fucking horrrendous when comared to the tunnel, were not staying that far from the Pyrenees/Andorra so will get a chance to ride some decent mountain roads

Bastardo Engineering Ltd

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Its not far from Santander to the Pyrenee's, compare the cost of fuel down through France with the ferry. Load up with fags/baccy/cigars in Andorra, very cheap, no tax. Theres a hypermarket called Andorra 2000, worth a look. However, don't attempt to cross through to Spain if you are loaded with fags, ahem, they don't like that, "Pregaurda", means you could get locked up!

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Ferry cost alone is nearly a grand for two people and two bikes, then add on another £150 each for petrol to get from Santander to our destination,works out at about twice as expensive Kev

I quite like it round here!

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 pm

:shock: a grand!!! For the bloody ferry!!!

Sent via a stupid phone..
Imagehttp://www.ypel.co.uk
It's not what you ride - Its how you ride it!

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Yep, thats a return trip from Portsmouth to Santander with an inside cabin with bunkbeds (cheapest option) worked out at £961 could have got it down to about £850 without a cabin, but that would mean trying to sleep on a chair

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:08 pm

And I thought bus fares were dear!!!!

Sent via a stupid phone..
Imagehttp://www.ypel.co.uk
It's not what you ride - Its how you ride it!

Location: Wales....the nice bit, near to where the new race track is being built

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:45 pm

FUCKING HELLL!!!!!!!!!! I didn't carry half of that shit when I went over to France last year........

the one thing though......if they get arsey..ask can they speak ENGLISH..if they say NON.......
Just say..if it wasn't for us, you would be speaking fucking GERMAN!!!!!!!!!

Just remember...we had to cross that gap called the ENGLISH CHANNEL to help you cunts out TWICE!!!!!!!!!!
Albeit DUNKIRK was a bit of tactical masterclass....like a boxing match..seconds out , round 2.....
And when we weren't your mates...we kicked the shit out of you.........remember AGINCOURT..... :dance:

and they smoke like chimneys smell of Garlic...but their women are really sexy....... :dance:
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust & sweat & blood; who strives valiantly...... & who at the worst, if he falls, at least falls while daring greatly"

Return to Touring Tips and Advice