My First Track Day(s) - Report...

Who is doing what and where on track

I quite like it round here!

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 pm

My First Track Day(s) - Report...

Right long overdue but here goes....

If you follow my "Relentless" thread you'll know by last Thursday I determind my headstocks were shot & so was my clutch. Bank Holiday Friday & I rand every Suzuki dealer in a 150 mile radius, 3 were open & none had the parts. On Saturday I called Crescent who said leave it with us we'll have a look, I found the bits in Fowlers in Birmingham however it was 11AM at this point & there spares department shut at 1PM. From Southampton (my stomping ground) that's a 220 mile round trip & I'd be pushed to make it (well I wouldn't, but it wouldn't be ideal). So I got onto Crescent who said that had the clutch plates, steels & headstocks, 40 minutes later I was there...

They had all the clutch parts bar the springs so I decided the 2-3 week old Barnett ones would be fine (hardly had a choice). I also picked up 3 sets of head stock bearings & races & the lower dust seal (went with 3 as a backup if I fucked one of the races while it was apart).......

Anyway short story long, bearings in, test rode = all good. With the engine hot I pulled the old clutch, by now the new plates had been soaked in 10/40W semi-synthetic Motul oil (same as my engine) for 5.5 hours. I got them fitted & pulled the clutch lever & no bite. the clock was ticking so didn't refit the gasket, drained some oil so it didn't spill in the van & masking taped the crank-case face, fitted the clutch cover & then wrapped with kitchen roll (like a maxi-pad :whistle:). Finally I ripped off the road kit & installed the track fairings......

I got the GSXR decals on but at this point it was 11:30PM so like fuck I was doing the bellypan kit. Home to bed as Kev was picking me up at 9:30 the following morning :giveup:. So on a scale of 1-10 my stress level was = FUCK SHIT CUNT!!!!!!!! :shock:
Yoshi / Jomo Rep GSXR-1000 K5, K7 Forks With Ohlins FPK 102 Pistons, Ohlins Shock & Damper, Bazzaz Z-FI TC, Yoshimura Factory Exhaust System, BMC Filter, Brembo Discs & 19x18mm M/C, R1 Monoblocks, OZ HL02 Wheels, Titanium Bolts & 182BHP.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:13 am

Re: My First Track Day(s) - Report...

Anyway the next day Kev came & scooped me up & after loading the van with my gear we were off.....

Yoshi / Jomo Rep GSXR-1000 K5, K7 Forks With Ohlins FPK 102 Pistons, Ohlins Shock & Damper, Bazzaz Z-FI TC, Yoshimura Factory Exhaust System, BMC Filter, Brembo Discs & 19x18mm M/C, R1 Monoblocks, OZ HL02 Wheels, Titanium Bolts & 182BHP.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 am

So we ended up at Cadwell the day before.......

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 am

Ready to catch a (the last?) 600 race....

At which point I am watching thinking WTF have I got myself into :shock:............

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am

So the bikes were unloaded that night........

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:23 am

The die hards were there the night before for a good place in the paddock (car park), but the following morning it really kicked off & you could feel it in the atmosphere.....

I dumped my bike of with the mechanics to set my clutch up, that they did (good tension on the lever). So (I thought) I was good to go....

Last edited by Kaosone on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:31 am

I missed the first session while the bike was being worked on, but it was back for session 2. As I missed the sighting laps I had to follow an instructor for 2, I'd passed the noise test now so was ready to go. I didn't know what to expect really so the instructor pilled off, I followed him & at 5,000RPM my clutch was slipping like hell so rode a lap at 40MPH like a twat & then pulled in :palm:.

By this point I was thinking all this effort for fuckall? Why? I just want to go home :sob:. The techs ripped my inner basket out & determined that the adjustment was out when all the plates etc were bolted in so adjusted it again & it was spot on from then.

I was out for the 4th session. Again I had to follow an instructor for 2 laps, everything seemed fine I told him "take it easy with me, it's my first track day & the tyres are cold". He said "It's my responsibility to ride at a pace that you're comfortable with, not the other way around"....

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:41 am

I felt good following his lines & then he pulled off & I was on my own. Cadwell is hectic. Hills, crests, can't see where the track goes, riding a 164BHP GSXR-1000, p a r a n o i d about overcooking it & running on etc. Then before I knew it people were passing me, shit me up. I paid to be on track same as everyone else so was entitled to be there however, was my first outing & by now everyone else has 30 odd laps on me.....

I was bricking it. Worried about holding people up (however on reflection I don't know why), I was looking over my shoulder when I heard bikes coming & pulling over & slowing down to let people pass. When the session finished I had mixed emotions. I didn't know what to make of it all? It was fun, scary & intense, I think I enjoyed it? At this point I was mainly thinking WTF (to many emotions to comprehend).

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:54 am

With the 4th session over we broke for lunch, while in the canteen eating a chip butty & necking a Monster I studied the map of the circuit. I'd studied it over a dozen times before however now I'd ridden I knew what I was looking at so was able to get a better grasp on it.....

Session 5 kicked off & I took the tyre warmers off, at least now I had 1/2 a clue. was still scared to open the throttle, didn't want to be bouncing it off the limiter & over cook it, also with all the gradients on that circuit it's hard to see where you're going so I wasn't going to pin it flat out blind.

A yellow flag came out on this session & as I looked at it I nearly ran onto the grass (must remember yellow flag = an incident, slow down & no overtaking). The session never turned into a red flag (game over, incident is serious. early in the session you'll go back out or lat it'll be stopped).

I am now seeing water droplets on my visor, I keep riding as hard as I dare (slow as fuck I'd be faster on familiar B-roads as I know where I am going). A couple of laps later & on the straight my visor is soaked, the checkered flag comes out to signify the last lap & I pull in.....

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 am

Nice write up matey...caddy is a great/bastard of a track..i love it/hate it in equal amounts....book a day at snett with me n i garentee you will have fun on the thou...much faster/wider, Im a hr from track..always welcome to crash over here :53:

RAVER

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 am

raverbiker wrote:Nice write up matey...caddy is a great/bastard of a track..i love it/hate it in equal amounts....book a day at snett with me n i garentee you will have fun on the thou...much faster/wider, Im a hr from track..always welcome to crash over here :53:

RAVER

Well as much as I'd love to go back to Donny be careful what you wish or it might come true :07:. Jokes aside Cadwell is awesome & since I've been there once & also got the whole nerves thing out the way I am sure I'll be fine. I have to say I preferred Donnington though. B&B up the road, pit garages, fast flowing circuit, wide as a motorway & none of that up down blind crest hard basted offset corners that Cadwell offers...

I am not massively up on tracks (need to get a play-station game with them on (& a play-station to play them on :whistle:). Keep reading & you'll see I had issues so it wasn't exactly a party, however it but it built my character & I'll live to fight another day, story of my life (whatever doesn't kill you, fucks you up :giveup:)...
Last edited by Kaosone on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:25 am

I rock up to the Gazebo where Kev is already & hear "Stuart, this is Kevin". There is a big geezer stood there he must be about 6',6" but I can't help think I know him from somewhere? Then Kev announces "this is KJA BUSA" I look him in the eye hold out my hand & announce "you taught me how to rebuild an engine." We shake hands, then I take me lid off & he says "STU!!!!" I say "yes" :ok: ). He replied "I didn't recognise you", I said something stupid like "well you wouldn't I had my helmet on :palm:".

Turns out KJA lives near Cadwell & just popped down for the crack, he recognised Kev/Runters/Hurtlefoot & said high. Small world. KJA generally has his lid on & is nailing it down Santa Pod on facebook so although we've been friends for a good few years it's finally nice to meet the legend :25:.

As he left I made a crack about Gixxer Junkies. He got banned for slating Maxxis tyres, I got banned for nothing really :blush:. So that's something we have in common :whistle:. Told me he's local so give him a shout if I am in that neck of the woods again, hopefully it won't be to long :dance:.
Last edited by Kaosone on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:34 am

Donny is a great track too..only done it once but would def go back...gutted i couldnt get over to caddy (about to go on hols..typing this at 1.30am..setting off for amsterdam in a hr ;) )i aint seen Kev (KJA) in ages..unsurprisingly prob the last time i was at santa pod :07: I wanna be out on track by the end of may....its addictive :clap: :lmao: :party: :word:

RAVER

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 am

I wasn't planning on going out again, but did for the 6th session as even though the air was damp the track was dry. I was still ll over the show, some nice flowing corners but I began to over think the technical parts (1/2 the fucking track) which did me no favours. Rain was coming down & I hadn't had the warmers on, when I had the rear spining up on the straight on about lap 5(?) I backed off & pulled in....

All in all this pic made my day......

Last edited by Kaosone on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 am

I got a few more, I am clearly not fast as I haven't a clue where I am going etc, however got a deal on the CD as I wasn't out much (all things considered). BUt here they are.....

Same front up over the mountain shot, but from Kev's cam.....

Then again a few frames later.......

Last edited by Kaosone on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Track Days