My First Track Day(s) - Report...

Who is doing what and where on track

I quite like it round here!

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: My First Track Day(s) - Report...

mark 64 wrote:So when you booking your next one :07:

After I get made redundant, walk away from my job of the last 8+ years with a nice payout & take some time out to chill, hit the track, maybe source as write off 750 build project & take my car test so I can rent van :dance:. It will probably (definitely) be Donny though :07:.

Or maybe I'll buy my mate a bike to use & he can drive in his work van & should I need the cash I can sell it :blush:.

Either way no-bodies holding me down :shoot:.....
Last edited by Kaosone on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yoshi / Jomo Rep GSXR-1000 K5, K7 Forks With Ohlins FPK 102 Pistons, Ohlins Shock & Damper, Bazzaz Z-FI TC, Yoshimura Factory Exhaust System, BMC Filter, Brembo Discs & 19x18mm M/C, R1 Monoblocks, OZ HL02 Wheels, Titanium Bolts & 182BHP.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Mark was there early & setup in garage 26 so off we went. Left to right = Mark 64, Runters & Kaosone....

Tyre warmers on.........

K5 sits pretty while tinybiker750 & Kev discuss how nice my paintwork is (probably :whistle:)......

Last edited by Kaosone on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi / Jomo Rep GSXR-1000 K5, K7 Forks With Ohlins FPK 102 Pistons, Ohlins Shock & Damper, Bazzaz Z-FI TC, Yoshimura Factory Exhaust System, BMC Filter, Brembo Discs & 19x18mm M/C, R1 Monoblocks, OZ HL02 Wheels, Titanium Bolts & 182BHP.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 pm

So initial impressions, the facilities at Donnington are a lot better. Garages(s) AC on tap, just rock up, got a workshop to unload your gear & can plug in whatever you want :dance:. B&B(s) / hotels up the road up the road "all in". Personally I can't stand camping so this is more up my street....

Tuesday morning & with a basically new pair of Supercorsas on, tyre warmers on & the rain pissing down I guess it's on :shock:. New track in the wet wondering if the tyre warmers will give me what I want? Out for the first session track's soaked, rains coming down & I get out on track the rear is moving around on tip in & I can't get on the power at all as the rear just spins :55:. One of my first thoughts about today is "WHY THE FUCK DID I BUY A GSXR-1000" :palm:. After it spinning it up everywhere I decide 3rd gear is my minimum, but still moved around on tip in. I was surprised by the sinted pads, they must have been cold with all the spray on them but the brakes were still very good under the conditions :rock:.....

Tinybiker750 pulled into the "garage" after me & the first session & was like "Jesus mate, your back end was all over the place" (he had a cam on so hopefully he can hook me up with the footage :horny:).
Last edited by Kaosone on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 pm

I sourced some Pirelli Diablo wets from eBay that looked like they'd only done a session or two so took the bike to the tyre fitter & dropped it off along with the wets. I missed session 2 while they were being fitted, however was out for session 3....

I've never ridden on wets before (well when would I :dunno:) Trackday #2 on day #2 :shock:......

No tyre warmers on wets, apparently they'll melt. I ask Kev what the crack is, he says "well wets still need to be warmed up so just take your time & build up the pace." Out I go....

So my second session of the day & I feel I am "gelling" a lot more with Donnington, than I did with Cadwell. It flows a lot more, it's twice as wide you can mess up & still basically be on course, they have a chicane & the Melbourne loop but those are 2 single "technical" sections, not like Cadwell where several sections of it are fucked up & if you take the correct line into the 1st corner you're well off for the 2nd....

Donny has 3-4 straights, the start finish, the one towards the hairpin, another before the Melbourne loop & the uphill one from McLeans to Coppice. By now I was keeping the throttle pinned longer & harder. I was still braking way to early however I was getting there & as the day progressed the margins would have only got narrower...
Last edited by Kaosone on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:03 am

Session 3, BOOM!!!!

In the words of James Gandalfini (R.I.P) from True Romance.........

"The first one is hardest, no doubt. I don't care if you're Wyatt Earp or Jack the Fucking ripper. Remember that guy in Texas? Killed all those fucking people in that fucking tower? I'll bet you green money that first little black dot he took aim on that was the bitch of the bunch"...

"The second, that's no Madi Gras either as you still feel the same thing, except it's more diluted. It's better (I threw up on the first one, you believe that)"...

"The 3rd one is easy, leveled right off. No shit. Now I do it just to watch the fuckin' expression change"......

That sound like how Donny went for me, session 3 was where it all kicked off :cool:.....
Last edited by Kaosone on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsored by Tennents Super

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:57 am

does this mean i'm gonna have to do a write up next month :palm:
=========

HOW CAN WE WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW NIGHT..
SAME BAT-TIME... SAME BAT-CHANNEL!!?

=========
It's Always Funny Until Someone Gets Hurt. Then It's Just Fuckin' Hilarious

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:16 pm

blagger wrote:does this mean i'm gonna have to do a write up next month :palm:

Yes :stones:

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:34 pm

So by now the track was drying out a bit & I'd done a session on wets so knew what they were capable of, I also knew I could get on the gas & with the track drying I knew they tyres would keep the heat well. From earlier sessions I noticed that when people were in front of me I was concentrating on what they were doing more that what I was so I hung out in the pits so I was the last out & could let everyone else pull off & ride around at my own pace. (In the first session on my Supercorsa's I was behind 2 bikes on the way into the Melbourne loop, the first one over cooked it & ran off, then the second did the same & I followed them)....

By now I was comfortable, I knew where the track went & I was relaxed & wasn't holding my breath (like I basically did the whole time I was on track at Cadwell) & just get on with riding. I did notice at some points I was looking at the apex as opposed to down the track so adjusted my focus. Then when I heard a bike behind me instead of getting scared, worrying about holding people up & backing off to let them pass it didn't phase me at all & I was like well " I am here so if you want to pass me then off you go". As I was braking early it gave me a good change to get my body position correct & transfer my weight & I remember thinking even if I am not going quick at least I am riding well & smooth so the pictures should come out well (hanging off good position etc)..

After not getting any footage from Cadwell I stuck the GoPro on from the off, I wasn't going to post this as it might put you to sleep but this is my 3rd session (4th of the day). It felt a lot faster when I was on the bike & I am turning in to early etc (also this is my first 1000cc bike that I've only had for most of the winter up until now). I guess if you watch racing you're used to seeing people fly round a track flat out, but I bet 99.9% of bike racers know fuckall about marine stabilised VSAT antennas & satellite communications (my day job :whistle:)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hD2atW ... d2wOP4GNPw

Let me know if the link doesn't work as it's taken from my channel :25:
Last edited by Kaosone on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Here are some of the pics from the day (see the terror in those eyes :07:)......

Last edited by Kaosone on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Giving the rear Supercorsa a run for it's money :shock:......

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Lunch from 1-2 & I was concerned by the weather, the track was pretty much dry now but there were still black clouds in the sky & at £50 a pop to have the tyres changed I decided to wait a little longer to see how it would pan out.

The black clouds pretty much disappeared so I dumped the bike at the fitters who said it would be about an hour which meant I'd have missed the 5th session, but I figured at least I'd have plenty of time to get the tyre warmer on so I could go for it on the 6th. They called the novice group for the 5th session & it looked like my bike was nearly done so threw my lid on & went over hoping to make it out (cold tyres would be better than no tyres :whistle:).

When I went over they fitter made the statement “that came out” & held up my caliper bolt that had the thread of my fork leg attached to it, my heart sank knowing it was game over for the day :sob:. I’d like to think if I got to do the last 3 sessions in the dry I’d have only gone quicker, but that was that. Regardless I had a blast & got to grips with being on track so WHEN I go back to Donny I’ll know where I am going, will be comfortable & should have a much better time.

I remember as I was coming into the pits after my 3rd session thinking I was in love with this track & wanted to get married to it. When I pulled up I grabbed the screen & started spanking the petrol tank like I was doggying the K5 & then looked over to see Martin stood there with a rather blank expression on his face :blush:. As dyno operator he was setting up Marks Bazzaz & as the track was dry he was able to pin it & was getting good gains (bluryness must mean the Z AFM is working :ok:).........

I just need to go back & get more under my belt now, but in the mean time I've got helicoils to fit :rev:

Sponsored by Tennents Super

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:08 pm

rather wet that. i dunno what i will be like on the track n the wet.
=========

HOW CAN WE WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW NIGHT..
SAME BAT-TIME... SAME BAT-CHANNEL!!?

=========
It's Always Funny Until Someone Gets Hurt. Then It's Just Fuckin' Hilarious

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Wet tyres? As good as, if not better than in the dry :25:

You won't like it when i'm angry!

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi res her mate

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0 ... cslist_api

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Previous

Return to Track Days