CRUTCHLOW - "Give me time and I'll get the results!"

Who's signed deals etc

Bastardo Engineering Ltd

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:12 am

CRUTCHLOW - "Give me time and I'll get the results!"

Cal Crutchlow has called upon British MotoGP fans to give him time to settle into life in the premier class and in return, he will deliver the results they are craving for – vowing to be the best rider the country has had in the championship ‘in a long time’.

Following a sole campaign in the World Superbike Championship with Yamaha that yielded a trio of victories, seven further rostrum finishes, an outstanding run of six pole positions from just 13 Superpole sessions and fifth spot in the final standings, Crutchlow will graduate to MotoGP with the satellite Tech 3 Yamaha operation next year.

He has already made a solid start during post-season testing in Valencia – “I was happy with the performance, and so were the team and so were Yamaha,” he affirms – but he is being constantly reminded of the fact that the last British rider to attempt to make his mark at the highest level, his 2010 Yamaha Sterilgarda team-mate and double WSBK Champion James Toseland, exited again after a mere two seasons with his tail between his legs.

With the Yorkshireman having found himself savaged by the national media for failing to live up to expectations, Crutchlow is well aware that whilst he will have a period of grace, once that period is over, the pressure will be on him to produce results. He assures that he will.

“James came back to World Superbikes this year and in all honesty, he struggled – he had quite a lot of crashes – but I can sympathise why,” the 25-year-old told Crash.net Radio. “The bikes are so different; he’s been used to loading the tyres and loading the brakes to go round the corners in MotoGP for two years, and then he came back to World Superbikes and had quite a few crashes and things weren’t working out for him, but that’s why.

“It’s the same for me going the other way round, but give me time to learn, give me time to settle in and I’ll get the results, don’t worry about that. That’s the way I’m looking at it. Yeah, people criticise – the public are always the first to jump on [the bandwagon] and congratulate you when you’re winning, but when you don’t do very well they’re also the first to jump on your back saying that you’re useless, but they’re not the ones riding the bike. They’ve got to understand it’s difficult at times.

“I think Jorge Lorenzo has been the only guy this year – perhaps Max Biaggi as well – who has had a phenomenal season; everyone else really has had ups-and-downs. It’s not easy to do what we do and we’re doing the best job we can.

“Hopefully, people will get behind that, and I intend to be the best Brit that has been to MotoGP in a long time, or else I wouldn’t be going into it. Why would I be entering the championship if I didn’t want to be that? I’ll just get up-to-speed and see how we get on. I’m looking forward to it, I really am, and hopefully the British public and fans will get behind me.”

One factor that will arguably play in Crutchlow’s favour – albeit not just yet awhile – is the return to 1,000cc in 2012, what will not only represent effectively a clean sheet of paper for the entire grid, but should also play to the Coventry-born star’s strengths rather better than the current 800cc bikes.

“That’s when I think really our game will be able to be stepped up,” he contends. “I think I’ve made quite a good move going in now and learning the circuits and learning a GP bike for a year on 800cc, and then it’ll all move to 1,000cc and everyone’s got to start learning again a little bit, so I might already be that step closer. We’ll see.

“At the end of the day, I’m only small, but my size sort of suits 1,000cc a little bit better power-wise. In all honesty, it suits 600cc perfectly – that’s where I’ve had the best results – and MotoGP bikes are very close to that, more than they are to Superbikes. A Superbike feels like a half-filled bath when you ride it; it moves around a lot. The 600cc didn’t, really – it’s a production-based bike, but based quite close to a MotoGP bike.”

Of more immediate concern, however, is 2011, and Crutchlow knows that the yardstick by which he will be judged is not so much that of Toseland but rather Ben Spies, his illustrious predecessor at the Herve Poncharal-led outfit and a rider whose achievements he knows he will need to go some to match let alone improve upon. Whatever the inevitable comparisons, the former World Supersport Champion and British Superbike Championship race-winner insists his focus will be purely on himself, and not what anybody else has done before him.

“Everyone is asking me the same question – what do you think, what’s your expectation, what’s your goal?” he mused in conclusion. “At the end of the day, I’ll keep my goal to myself. I know what I want to do. Ben has been in there this year and done an absolutely fantastic job and you can take nothing away from him – a couple of podiums and a pole position, it’s difficult to go into MotoGP and do that now. He did well on machinery which wasn’t the fastest bike out there by any means, so if I can go in there and replicate maybe a little bit of that or do anything near it, I think people will be happy with me too.

“It’s a big learning curve; Ben had a few more goes on a MotoGP bike than me, and with Bridgestone tyres when he rode the Rizla bike, so it’s going to be more difficult for me to jump in there and step up to that plate, but I want to look at my own game plan and I’ll stick to it. I’ll work hard on-and-off the track as always, and hopefully, the results will come.”

Master Pie Muncher

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 am

Re: CRUTCHLOW - "Give me time and I'll get the results!"

I really hope he does well!

Bastardo Engineering Ltd

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:30 am

Rainey wrote:I really hope he does well!

I think he will, as long as folk give him space to settle in, he's a more determined character than Toseland too.

Master Pie Muncher

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:55 pm

I hope he does well, I'm just happy I have been on the piss with a MotoGP rider :lol: shameless name dropper ;)

I quite like it round here!

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:37 am

Should do better that Tossland At least he wont be hob knobbing in between races to promote his band

RIDES BETTER THAN YOUR WIFE OFFICER

Return to News