How To :- Change Oil and Oil Filter

These clever dicks knows how to do it

Sponsored by Tennents Super

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:35 pm

How To :- Change Oil and Oil Filter

What you need.
Enough oil for your bike, (refer to owners manual to the amount)
Oil Filter
Sump Plug Crush Washer ( if you need to replace it, sometime you can get away with using the old one again)
Socket Set to remove sump plug (spanner might do but you might be limited access)
Oil Filter Wrench (unless you have a k&n style one where they are good enough to have a nut fitment on the end of their filters to you can use a standard socket on it)
Oil Catch Tray
Latex gloves and a rag as this can be messy
Rear Paddock stand or something to keep the bike upright

*** if you want, before you start the oil change, you can warm the bike slightly buy running it for a few mins as this will help the oil flow out quicker, or if you have time just leave the bike cold and let the oil run out in its own time, if you do run the bike for a min, let it stand for a bit so the oil can run back down to the sump. ***

First of all you will need to gain access to the oil filter and sump plug so remove all fairings that will be in the way.

next what i like to do is to put something in the ignition barrel so will stop you or anyone putting the key in and making the mistake of trying to run the bike when there is no oil so during the oil change period i use and old zip tie and push it into the barrel as a warning.

Grab your Oil catch tray and slide it under the bike ready to catch the oil.

undo the sump plug and let the oil drain out the bike, dont loose the sump plug in all the oil tho

nope your not finished with the sump plug just yet, some sump plugs have a magnet in them and this is handy for collecting any fragments of metal that is going about in your engine, so check this for any signs of engine damage, if you have nothing on the magnet then your fine, also check the oil coming out for any fragments too esp if you dont have a sump plug with a magnet.

now onto removing the filter. With the catch tray sill under the bike, you can start to remove the oil filter using the oil filter wrench (or using a socket if you have a filter that allows for that). if you find that you cant remove the filter and the wrench is slipping, then a good trick is to get a long screwdriver and hammer it through the side of the filter and use that as a lever point to undo the filter.

let all the oil drain out. Then grab your new filter, and before you put on your new filter, smear a bit of oil around the sealing ring to help it get a nice seal when it goes onto the bike.

clean up as much oil as you can off the headers if you got any on them as this will smoke when they get hot. and then screw on the new filter

by the time you have finished all that, the sump should be close to stop dripping and you can put the sump plug back in, its upto you if you want to change the crush washer before you put it back in, its good practice to change it every time you remove the sump plug but at this time i just left the old one on as i changed it on my last oil change.

With the new oil filter on and the sump plug back in, you can move onto filling the engine with new oil.

remove the oil filler cap, normally located on the RHS engine casing

you will notice that on most bikes they have the amount of oil you need in the engine for that bike. if not refer to your owners manual for the amount you need, here you can see i need 2600ml (2.6l), but wait, thats correct if we didn't change the oil filter but we did, so we will need a little more as the oil filter wont be holding any oil. for this refer to your owners manual to the amount of oil you need for a oil AND filter change, in my manual for the SRAD i need 2800ml (2.8l) of oil, so i need to put in an extra 200ml of oil.

also refer to your manual for the correct oil to use, but in most cases they have info stamped on the oil cap, here you see i need to use 10w-40 oil

so grab you oil

on the side of the bottle, you might see this gauge

this this as a guide to how much oil you are putting into the engine. i start off by filling the engine with 2600ml (2.6l) of oil to what is suggests to the amount in the sump it needs.

now replace the oil cap and start your bike up and let it run for a min or 2 so the oil pump can circulatethe oil into the oil filter and around the engine.

Turn off the bike after a min of so and leave the bike for few bit to let the oil settle . you will notice that the oil has fallen lower in the inspection window, this was due us only putting in enough oil for the sump and not the filter and its easier to top up the oil rather than putting to much in at the start and having to drain some of it out, now top up with some more oil so that the level is half way between L and F marker line.

Check for any leaks and if none, then you all done.
Last edited by blagger on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=========

HOW CAN WE WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW NIGHT..
SAME BAT-TIME... SAME BAT-CHANNEL!!?

=========
It's Always Funny Until Someone Gets Hurt. Then It's Just Fuckin' Hilarious

I quite like it round here!

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Re: How To :- Change Oil and Oil Filter

Ace tut. Richie, cheers. Never done an oil change on my bike in my life. Got one to do next week so this a very timely reminder indeed.

Kev :kev:
My love of life just gets stronger as the days go by.
Some things I wish, they would last...
just a little bit longer...
As the days go by

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 pm

cheers kev, hope this helps you out
=========

=========

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Is that semi-synth or full synth oil you put in Blaggs? I got a great deal on some full synth oil and a new filter for under 30 notes, so will be giving that a go this time round.

As the days go by

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 pm

i used full, only cus i'm lazy and it lasts long than semi between changes :lmao:
=========

=========

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Cool beans lad, good enough for you, good enough for me mate. :ok:

As the days go by

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:09 pm

where are u getting your deal from?
=========

=========

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Guy off TDR did it a few months back, will keep an eye out for you. It's motul and usually costs a pretty penny apparently. Are you a member on there mate, costs nowt to join and the guys are Ace.

As the days go by

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:25 pm

joined a few forums over the years so i will have to check it on and see if i have a login lolol

i always buy castrol power 1 racing since i have had the srad, got this last lot when someone on here said about the halfords weekend discount offer and also they was doing a sale on the oil as well so it was a double whammy, and was about £26 odd instead of its £35 odd normally and as you know i got my impact sockets at the same time with the discount and that buffed the sale up to get the free delivery so that was the icing on the cake for me. lol i normally miss out on all the good deals :07: :07:
Last edited by blagger on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=========

=========

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm

:dude: Blagger :ok:

As the days go by

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Point to add, the first step should be to unpack the oil filter & pour some 4-Stroke into it....

That way by the time you've sank a few beers, taken the fairing off, drained the old oil & removed the filter the new one will have absorbed all the new oil ready to install so it won't leak on your floor & you'll be "fully lubricated".

Trust me :ok:
Yoshi / Jomo Rep GSXR-1000 K5, K7 Forks With Ohlins FPK 102 Pistons, Ohlins Shock & Damper, Bazzaz Z-FI TC, Yoshimura Factory Exhaust System, BMC Filter, Brembo Discs & 19x18mm M/C, R1 Monoblocks, OZ HL02 Wheels, Titanium Bolts & 182BHP.

Return to How to's & Step by Step Guides