Rear wheel bearings

These clever dicks knows how to do it

I quite like it round here!

Post Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Rear wheel bearings

Just changed the rear wheel bearings and took a few pics.
Firstly just loosen the rear wheel nut when on side stand, then put it up on a rear paddock stand, I did it one manned, firstly put the bike on its side stand on a piece of 3/4 thick wood, so the bike is nearly upright, then simply put your paddock stand under the swing arm or the bobbins and push down on the stand, hey presto up on the stand.
Fully unscrew the nut and take off, I put a plank under the wheel and use it as a support for the rear wheel and pull out the spindle, the wheel will drop, remove the chain from the sprocket.Image Take the spacers out and note which side they came from and then take the sprocket carrier off the wheelImage
and remove the spacer from in between wheel and sprocket carrier put it with the other spacer you removed from the same side and I removed the cush drive rubbers as I had new ones to replace Image
prop wheel against wall or such like, using a suitable bar to drift the old bearings out, I used a length of copper bar place through centre of wheel and 'feel' for the edge of the opposite bearing Image
tap with hammer and gradually work your way round tapping as you go, the old bearing will eventually come out, take care to hit alternate sides, ie top, then bottom, left, then right ect.
when it is out remove the inner spacer
Do the same for the other bearing. Clean off all the muck and old grease and then place new bearing square to the bore, using a drift slightly smaller than the bearing (a socket or use the old bearing to start, I made a drift)Image
gently tap the bearing home Image. Replace the centre spacer Image and repeat for the other bearing. replace the rubber seal on the brake disk side and replace the cush drive rubbersImage you might need to hit the rubber over the little nob :goon: to seat them properly.Replace the spacer for the cush drive Imageand press sprocket carrier into rubbersImage Replace the outer spacers, (remembering which side they came from), manouver the wheel inbetween the swing arm, put chain back on sprocket and lift wheel so that the spindle holes are in line with wheel holes, making sure that the rear brake pads are over the disk, (easier with 2 people) I use a plank under wheel to lift similar to the frontImage.
Tap in spindle through wheel and tighten nut to specified torque.
Imagehttp://www.ypel.co.uk
It's not what you ride - Its how you ride it!

I quite like it round here!

Post Sun May 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Now do one for putting tapperd steering head bearings....

Thanks for sharing :25:

Post Sun May 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Nice Guide Esxr7.5 :ok: :ok: :ok:

You won't like it when i'm angry!

Post Mon May 07, 2012 6:59 am

Armi wrote:Now do one for putting tapperd steering head bearings....

Thanks for sharing :25:

Almost the same as this but you might need to cut the bottom bearing off the stem.

And don't buy cheap ebay bearings, the fit can be shit.

Great guide well done

Sent from my bloody phone....

Return to How to's & Step by Step Guides