Carbon wrapping

These clever dicks knows how to do it

Master Pie Muncher

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Carbon wrapping

Yeah this is a carbon wrap not making new pieces which is why the title says Carbon wrapping not making carbon fibre parts ;)
You could take it the next step and make moulds and parts but that's not covered in this guide

Sponsored by Tennents Super

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm

i was gonna make a basic mould of one of my undertrays and try to replicate it in fibreglass but dunno what would made a good basis for the mould
=========

HOW CAN WE WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW NIGHT..
SAME BAT-TIME... SAME BAT-CHANNEL!!?

=========
It's Always Funny Until Someone Gets Hurt. Then It's Just Fuckin' Hilarious

Master Pie Muncher

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:16 pm

if your going to make parts I would get a moulding kit mate, you would need probably 3 layers of carbon as well

This seems a decent kit :dunno:
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products/ca ... lk300.aspx

isn't going to work out cheap though for a single part

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 pm

was gonna try out in fibreglass
=========

=========

You won't like it when i'm angry!

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 pm

blagger wrote:i was gonna make a basic mould of one of my undertrays and try to replicate it in fibreglass but dunno what would made a good basis for the mould

Make the mould outta fibreglass Blagger, take your undertray, spray release agent all over it, then lay on your fibreglass (making sure you can actually lift the original back out once set)
Once its set, prise out the original, which wont have stuck to the fibreglass due to the release agent, you then have your mould.

Use the mould in the same way, spray in release agent and lay in your fibreglass

plenty of vids on you tube of how to do it
Southerner living in the land of the Northern monkeys
http://www.facebook.com/Nix68

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 am

Nix wrote:
blagger wrote:i was gonna make a basic mould of one of my undertrays and try to replicate it in fibreglass but dunno what would made a good basis for the mould

Make the mould outta fibreglass Blagger, take your undertray, spray release agent all over it, then lay on your fibreglass (making sure you can actually lift the original back out once set)
Once its set, prise out the original, which wont have stuck to the fibreglass due to the release agent, you then have your mould.

Use the mould in the same way, spray in release agent and lay in your fibreglass

You lot really are aknowledgeable lot - never made owt in Fibreglass before - but may well do now !!
Good idea Nix - well deffo be giving this a go !!

Rep added - :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Nix wrote:

cheers nix. now that i have the tail pod from armi, i have a k series undertray as i say i want to copy but customize the brake light fitment etc on the undertray but would rather mould my own complete tray based the one i have rather then butcher it.

what release agent do you suggest, could i get away with just waxing it or will i need something better
=========

=========

You won't like it when i'm angry!

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm

I used to make fibreglass and rubber moulds for me old man when i was a lad so learned a little bit about it,I used to just use vaseline or silicone spray release agent, or you can paint in a gel coat first that will make extraction easier.

Stuff like tail pods and other complicated shapes you have to make a two part mould otherwise you cant get the bloody thing out

You can probably buy complete kits these days, i was doing it over 20 years back

I would suggest watching a few vids on you tube about it, watching someone doing it will explain a lot more than words can
Southerner living in the land of the Northern monkeys
http://www.facebook.com/Nix68

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 pm

aye was looking over youtube a while back when i first got the idea, just never got around to buying the fibreglass kit :blush: :07:
=========

=========
Previous

Return to How to's & Step by Step Guides