Guide to installing a switched 12v supply.

These clever dicks knows how to do it

Dan

Not just a number...

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Guide to installing a switched 12v supply.

Often the question is asked, how easy is it to wire in an accessory socket. Easy as pie really, but for that extra peace of mind, you want it to be off when you turn the ignition off... Hopefully this rough guide will help some of you avoid the 'left my heated grips on... need to bump start my bike...'
In this particular guide, I am installing a relay, and a voltage rail .. read on.. all will become clear... well thats the plan at least :D

For those that don't know, a relay requires a low power circuit to trip a switch, to allow power through ..

Ingredients

Obviously this isn't everything I used, but the point is, make sure you have everything before you start!

A brief pic guide to a relay ... this relay has 5 blades. This first pic shows croc clips attached to the 'trigger circuit' ... I will use power from the rear light for this ..

And this second pic shows (RED) the power input and (BLUE) the 2 output blades. So essentially, this is a switch, that is off until power is put through it.

Right then, with the seats off etc, I found a chassis point (GROUND) and attached a crimped wire to it, in preperation for the relay.

I then found the main power feed to the rear light, and exposed the wire and attached the other side of the 'trigger circuit'. Soldered and used a bit of self amalgamating tape.

ImageImage

Having earlier found a suitable place for the relay, near the battery and chassis point, I feed the 2 trigger wires to the relay, crimp and attach.

At this point, you are essentially ready to go. You need only connect your relay into whatever circuit that requires switching. Normally heated grips...

In practice however, I find that I require more than one power supply.... so here is a solution I have gleaned from the worldly wise tinterweb ...

You can see in the pic, I have linked 3 terminals across 1 side (RED) and t'other 3 (BLACK). This block is now linked into the relay system and is a switched supply, but giving me the freedom of 3 points of power.

Hopefully you can follow the routings in this pic. You can see the negative (BLUE) ring terminal ready to be attached to the battery.

And once its all in place:

You can see I have colour coded the block. The live feed is hidden but travels from the positive battery terminal, underneath the block to the relay, then through the relay (switched) back to the positive (RED) side of the block. The negative side (BLACK) then is linked direct to the negative pole of the battery. So anything wired into the block will only work when the ignition is on. Also, this is parallel.

Feel free to comment, or pm me.
Last edited by Rainey on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sticky'd

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Guide to installing a switched 12v supply.

Excellent mate, do we have stickies on this site? If so, that should be made into one. Like the multiplicity of the choc-block idea to. :25:

Dan

Not just a number...

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Obviously people need to be careful not to overload the system by running everything at once. In reality though, if running heated grips and GPS and other stuff, running them together doesn't happen too much. Users would need to remember to alternate them to be on the safe side. Don't won't people buring out stators then blaming me lol.
Another point to note, is an inline fuse on each accessory is a good idea.

I quite like it round here!

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Dan wrote:Another point to note, is an inline fuse on each accessory is a good idea.

What size fuse would you recommend for say a gps system?

Cheers btw....subcribed for future referance :25:

Dan

Not just a number...

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 pm

To answer that would suggest I am qualified to answer it .... :D

I can only suggest, that something like 3amp or 5amp would be suitable, as that what existing satnav charging systems (that I own) currently use.

Sponsored by Tennents Super

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:19 pm

good how to guide
=========

HOW CAN WE WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW NIGHT..
SAME BAT-TIME... SAME BAT-CHANNEL!!?

=========
It's Always Funny Until Someone Gets Hurt. Then It's Just Fuckin' Hilarious

Master Pie Muncher

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Another spot on "how to" Dan
Thanks for these there great

will consider running this but to a 4 point in car charger thing

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm

just got some hot grips, so thought i'd give your tut a go as i already have put an aux port on the bike, so i'm pulling that out as i wired that direct to the batt and putting a relay and blocks like you have done to run grips and aux..

bit of a mess so far but i'm testing as a go b4 i put it all back neat and taped up, also waiting on some bullet connectors lol

=========

=========

Dan

Not just a number...

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Cool, glad it helps people. If you can get hold of some self amalgamting tape, that stuff is pretty good for really tidying up stuff.

Master Pie Muncher

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm

hruntlefoot wrote:Excellent mate, do we have stickies on this site? If so, that should be made into one. Like the multiplicity of the choc-block idea to. :25:

Done

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 pm

i'm running the relay switch from my rear lights, now is it better to run that side of the relay to an earthing point or can i run it bk into the rear light common wire. the aux side of the relay i have running direct back to the battery.
=========

=========

Dan

Not just a number...

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:46 pm

I earth mine. I imagine the common wire would have the desired result, I just find the less hacking into existing wiring, the better. Peersonally speaking like of course ..

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:15 pm

yeah, i didn't like the thought of hacking all my loom up so i'm just making custom joins using the existing bullet connectors for the rear lights also allowing me to easily remove if needs be

=========

=========

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:18 pm

just ran another cable like the one i made for the live for the earthing for the relay and i have ran it via the common for the rear light and seems to be ok.
=========

=========

Return to How to's & Step by Step Guides